Saturday, December 22, 2012

All is calm. . .

What is everyone up to tonight?  I feel like the Christmas deadline is looming and the fact that I think of it as a deadline makes me mad.  But there it is.  I have the Robert Frost poem replaying in my head,

"And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep."

Screw it.  My house may smell like stale laundry and the gifts are not under the tree but unwrapped and stuffed in big store bags in my basement.  But gosh darn it.  I want myself some peace and quiet.  And just now . . . right this very moment, I have it.  To my left, a football game is bounding along with a father/son audience.  In front of me, my girl child is reading a book.  A real live book . . . on my iPad.

And over there, at the kitchen table sits 12 year old Lumpy and his online medieval battlefield game.  Just now he moves in front of the fire and tries to displace her majesty.

And I in my kerchief am merrily (yes, merrily) knitting along on a Christmas gift for my gorgeous auburn haired niece.  She will love this.  She's cool that way - being a college kid and all.  She appreciates the hand-knit variety.

Merry Christmas to you Christmassy people.  And for the rest of you:
" Happy Festivus for the rest of us."

3 comments:

livnletlrn said...

Everything is blocking and the fans are blowing to help get it all dry in time. In between the assorted events, I'm now finishing up some work, prepping party foods, visiting w/ friends, and digging out the 3 UFOs that I'll work on over the next few days, following which I will have a clean slate. The mind boggles with delicious possibilities.

Rani said...

Sounds delightful! Happy holidays and merry Christmas!

Neuroknitter said...

Love the dog!! Too cute!! I'm glad you found yourself some "calm"!!

We went to The Hobbit tonight to round out our Sunday calm. Did you go yet!!??